The inaugural summer of Climate Career Corps employed 250 youth
Climate Career Corps interns worked in green jobs this summer completing a total of 17,700 paid internship hours. 193 youth worked in San Francisco parks in their first year in the program, and 43 youth interns worked in a portfolio of green organizations and businesses. All 236 interns were supported by fourteen Program Assistants, all of whom were Enterprise alumni.
Interns worked in a range of places, from green architecture firms to government agencies. They helped create videos to promote EV charging stations while others worked to preserve archaeological sites in the Presidio. We’re thrilled to have launched this multi-year project and look forward to witnessing the more sophisticated green skills the youth will acquire as they spend more summers in green endeavors.
Enterprise offered a Spanish-speaking cohort for 23 youth who were supported in a green internship in their first language!
Impact on the Youth
Youth showed significant growth and improvement in both their professional and soft skills, along with a positive sense of accomplishment and a deepened appreciation for the environment.
- 97% learned professional communication skills
- 97% built a strong resume
- 91% developed an understanding and appreciation for the natural environment
Impact on the Environment
Youth working in the parks made a direct impact on the land. Interns working at Sutro Heights and Lands End, as part of our partnership with Golden Gate National Recreation Area, produced tremendous quantifiable results, including
- 5,000 square feet of parkland spot-weeded
- 1,988 linear feet of pathways, sidewalks, seating, and parking lots cleared of vegetation and weeds
- 93 green compost bags of vegetation removed
- 15 buckets of trash removed from trails, parking lots, and other areas
- 100 native plants transplanted to 836 square feet of newly mulched areas
“It was awesome to offer Bay Area youth an exciting outdoor experience stewarding their local green spaces and at equitable wages to boot! It is truly inspiring to see how much workforce development training Enterprise for Youth offers Bay Area Youth”
– Abigail Alfonso, Sutro Stewards Internship Host, Summer 2022